Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ok, now we're into the real rifle loonies, who all know EXACTLY which cartridge will be far better than the .375 Ruger or .338 Winchester Magnum, even though whoever suggests them has probably never killed anything with a .375 Ruger or H&H, or a .338 Winchester.

Let's start a list. Right now we have the .35 Whelen and .340 Weatherby. Anybody want to go for an 8mm Remington Magnum, .338-06, 9.3x64 or .375 Steyr?

Well, I'm a bit late to the party, so where do we stand on the "list" so far?

I've perused the thread, tired eyes and all after watching the Sharks beat the Stars on the laptop screen, and haven't seen enough loonyism to sooth my soul.

I believe, the gap mentioned by the OP is quite large and needs a bit of filling. John has done a fine job of getting the ball rolling with his choices. I say the OP has a NEED of a number of rifles (or a good switch barrel gun with a large asst of tubes) to successfully fill the gap. Any that he later finds to be unnecessary can be used for trade fodder.

Some possible fillers:
.303 Epps - Bigger frontal area than the 7mag for more "shocking" power, and it's "improved" which is important to loonies.
8mm Mauser - Just because
8mm/'06 - wink
some of the .325 and .338's have been mentioned already but I haven't seen these, they are a bit more power to close the gap between the .338 WM and the .375
.338/378 Weatherby
.338 Lapua

I hope I have successfully made the list a bit more thorough and that the OP will take us up on our recommendations for bridging the expansive discrepancy in power, usefulness, and versatility between his two cartridges. He has friends here, I hope he realizes it!

Respectfully,

Geno, rifle loony still in the "budding" stage (from what I've seen around here I have a LONG way to go to catch up cool )

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?