Originally Posted by Mule Deer

when watching guys sighting-in their magnums at various hunting camps, but have also seen it with guys who can shoot one OK on one animal, but then go on an African safari. After a few days of shooting an animal or two a day, their shooting grows worse.

Some are smart enough to have brought along a smaller rifle, and are also smart enough to switch, whereupon their shooting gets better than they start killing animals--even the larger plains-game animals they brought the magnum for. But if they didn't bring along another rifle, they're shooting almost always continues to get worse.
This makes a lot of sense!

I've not been to Africa but if I did and the P.H. was OK with it, I would be OK with Partitions in a 7RM or 30-06 for most of the game and leave the .375 in a hard case in the hunting car. Regarding the gap, a non looney would not be worried about it, but you are already bitten so you should just buy whatever you want. There is nothing to force you to keep it if you are disappointed, looney's sell guns all the time.

If I wanted a .338 bore I would rather a .338 Lapua in a heavier long range rig to screw around with.