Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
I've killed one black bear, shot through the heart with a .45-70. He jumped into the air and dropped right where I shot him. Another hunter in camp shot one through the shoulder with a .338 and it ran off and was lost.

Either a bad bullet in the .338, or he didn't hit the shoulder.

I'm always amazed that folks know where the bullet hit and ended up, even though they never find the animal....

I didn't know the guy other than a buddy and I shared a camp with him and three other guys on a combo moose/bear hunt in Newfoundland. I wasn't there when he shot it but that was the story he told in camp that evening after he and his guide returned from looking for it. Personally, I thought the guy seemed more interested in drinking than hunting so I wasn't real surprised when he said he'd wounded and lost a bear.

Forgive me please. I"m getting older. And cynical.

The test for me to tell if someone is telling a lie? Is their mouth open?

That said, bear vitals are like Aoudads... forward. Anything behind the crease isn't all that great...

My rule of thumb to this day, if it has to be DRT, shoot the ear socket.

If not, and its something I might think about breaking a shoulder on, I strive to only take the shoulder on the way out.
Last moose was example. Just in front of the joint going in, shoulder going out. Did not hurt that I was holding to break the base of the neck also, and managed to center that. But I prefer to take bone going out only. That way I know my bullet had the best chance to penetrate, expand, not come apart, and travel a straight line before hitting something that could change all of that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....