Originally Posted by JJHACK
As has ben mentioned here I was a damage control manager for a 360,000 acre tree farm in Wa. State. Because of the situation......

I have tracked a whole lot of big game in my career. Without exaggeration several thousand animals. Bears are without question one of the most difficult because the fur and fat have an incredible ability to stop the blood flow. In the thick forest habitat they inhabit, the forest floor is not usually good tracking with their big soft feet. They do not leave sharply dug in hoof tracks.

It's easy to solve this with a range finder and a couple feet of surveyors tape. Mark the tree you shot from. Range the spot you shot at with your LRF. Then when you cross the gap and range back to the tape you will be at the exact distance although it could still be to the right or left, at least you're in the ball park.

Well that's my take on this topic, it's worth what you paid for it!

JJHACK;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours doing acceptably well.

I wanted to say a quick personal thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. In my view any potential black bear hunter should read and then re-read it until they thoroughly understand what you've written.

Although I only quoted a couple points of your post, there's more that I very likely should have.

Up here in my part of BC I've known more experienced hunters who have lost a black bear after a hit than all other animals combined. I should also note that I count as friends a couple of chaps who have guided for black bears over many seasons and their observations mirror yours.

Anyway sir, thanks again for taking the time to share your black bear experience with us - it's grand, solid information.

All the best to you folks this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"