FWIW an acquaintance of mine who lived for many years in northern BC killed everything he hunted with his 220 Swift, including a lot of moose, elk and bears. 'Course he was the fellow I've mentioned who roped and hog tied a swimming caribou bull, pulled it into his river boat and brought it home alive and whole. If you got what it takes... laugh Like most here, I suspect that Scenar Shooter does...

I travel more along JJ's path when I hunt bears. I've been in on about 50 black bears including those shot by friends and family with me along. I like large exit holes with a better chance of leaking blood for soft footed animals difficult to track on moss and forest duff, like bears. That's extra true when I'm not the shooter and I am not 100% confident in the shooter. OTOH I have one friend I happily hunt black bears with when he uses his 22-250. He killed a nice black bear with that one day with me along, one shot. I carry my 30-06 with 180 grain Swift A-frames in it.

Overall, IME I've come to the conclusion that black bears are NOT particularly tenacious of life, but are often hard to find after a fatal hit. IMO they are generally about like deer in how easy they are to kill with a decent hit. Exceptions are exceptions.

A ton of overkill beats an ounce of underkill.

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/28/16. Reason: after thots