Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by GuyM
I've heard that they have a very slow respiratory rate - don't know that - but have been told that.

And that this can give them a tremendous ability to continue running, even after taking a shot to one lung...

Concur Gerry, that shot placement is likely the biggest problem - they're kind of a big, dark, furry ball, and look different in the sights than do the deer we normally hunt.

Guy

The respiration/heart rate thing is rolled out pretty often, but that came from hibernating bears. Look at the muscle... very dark meat due to lots of myoglobin which stores oxygen in the muscle for endurance.

Take away blood and they still have enough oxygen to go a long way.

I have watched over a hundred get shot with a strong half being ones I shot. Being raised to shoot ribs, I did, but don't. I prefer to make an exit wound with an X on the far side shoulder... that stops them.

Two of my worst bear experiences came by way of smallish black bears yet Young calls them cowards...

Good bullets from today are far better than yesteryear's and that makes the shoulder shot good.

Very educational.......

Phuqueoff! You are clueless and have zero clues about what the clued-in folks know about bears. Anything you try to pass off as enlightening to you is well known among those that actually get out after bears...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.