Originally Posted by jwall

Originally Posted by gunswizard
The idea that a variable power scope is somehow less reliable is an ___old myth___ that surfaces from time to time. All of my hunting rifles are equipped with variable power scope, haven't experienced any problems with them what so ever.

I TOTALLY agree that it is an old MYTH. I also think that yrs ago variables WERE NOT as reliable as fixed Xs. I once had a fixed 6X but it's been SO LONG I don't remember what brand.

This "myth" is still alive here on the 'fire'. I have & use 3 Bushnell "Banner" 4-12 X 40 scopes that I bought in the 80s--that's 1980s. I used 2 of them this past deer season.

I have other 3-9s and 4-12s and NONE of them have given me any trouble. I'm reluctant to tell anyone this, but I will. In 2008 I bought a Win 70 WinLite 300 WM. It came w/a SIMMONS 3-9 Whitetail scope - their BOTTOM feeder. I "thot", I'll give it a try. Guess What? It never has shifted POI, it adjusts reliably, and I'm still 'trying' it. If It Ain't Broke..

So IME, the variables have proven themselves RELIABLE since 1980. I've never had a failure with any variable BUT-BUT I did WEAR 1 out. I put it on every hard kicking rifle that came along and used it for grouping & graphing. I STILL have it's carcass out of 'respect'. It EARNED its keep.

As to Mr. Petzal's statement about good aerodynamic 8mm bullets-
the 200 gr 8mm's have ABOUT the same BC as 270--130s. What's wrong with the NP 200 8mm bullet? I've seen pics of a couple of newer 8mm bullets that also QUALIFY as 'good'

These are MY OPINIONS based on MY EXPERIENCE.
YMMV

Jerry

edited - to correct 'spell check'-- whistle

How many rounds to do shoot a year? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands?