I think readers like Petzal because he shoots from the hip. His advice isn't bad for most folks...he's missing the point of the 325 WSM, but then, so did nearly everyone else, as did the market in general that has discounted this round.

The 325 was designed by Winchester to be an alternative choice that was the equivalent of the 338 Mag in a shorter, lighter package with less recoil, and it does exactly that.

Also, missing the point is that the BC of the 8mm AB is 10% higher than the same weight bullet in .338 diameter, and that bullet easily stays supersonic to 100 yards and maintains 1500 fp of energy, (which some consider minimum for Elk), to around 600 yards...that's a reasonably capable round to my eyes.

Certainly the 8mm only has a handful of good bullets available, but you only need one, really, and the lessened recoil is a MAJOR bonus for some shooters. Granted, it's not a lot, but can make a difference.

The 325 could have been one of the more popular in the WSM line-up instead of a dead chambering if it had been a 338. It would also have been inferior to the 338 WM, but more popular.

As to those rugged variables, I don't know where guys buy them, but let me know so I can buy those instead of some of the ones I have had.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."