Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Another example came from one of the many readers who contact me. This was a guy on the Campfire who'd bought a new .30-06 of a make known for accuracy, but couldn't get it to shoot, despite the bedding and everything else checking out. He asked about a good load for 165-grain bullets, and I gave him the standard 57 grains of either IMR or H4350. He reported back that wouldn't shoot either, so I asked if he'd tried a different scope. He said he'd tried two, and the rifle still wouldn't shoot. I said it was too much for me without actually being there.

Two months later he PM'd again, saying he'd tried a third scope, and the rifle suddenly started shooting sub-inch groups. At that point he confessed the first two scopes had been brand-new, never previously mounted on any rifle.

I suspect this increasing failure rate is partly because of higher demand for shooting equipment in general, resulting in companies cranking out more scopes

I resemble that remark! grin

And if I'm remembering correctly, those new scopes were both FX-IIs , not variables........