I am trying to get caught up since my first post in this thread.

Originally posted by Mule Deer
The scopes on the rifles my wife and I own, right now, are just about 50/50 split between variables and fixed, because of our numerous experiences with variables that failed.

Sometimes these failures were deliberately induced, by mounting the scopes on rifles of .300 magnum or larger, which makes a definite difference. But many were never mounted on any rifle that kicked harder than a .257 Roberts, yet still went wonky.

I easily concede that you have been doing more shooting & hunting than I have in the past 8-10 yrs. That equates to MORE rifles and scopes used/abused. <grin>.

However from 1980-2005 I 'think' I would have given you a run for your money. During those years - guns/loading/shooting/graphing/hunting was or were my only hobby or past time.

As we talked in another thread I was a "churner". During those years I have NO IDEA of how many rounds I shot/yr nor exactly how many diff. rifles,cartridges, & scopes I used, sold, or traded.

AS you mentioned, some of your scopes had deliberately induced failures. I ONLY had 1.

----The following is from P 2 of this thread.----

" BUT-BUT I did WEAR 1 out. I put it on every hard kicking rifle that came along and used it for grouping & graphing. I STILL have it's carcass out of 'respect'. It EARNED its keep."
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The rest of my scopes have had years of normal loading,shooting, & hunting use. So I do UNDERSTAND the MORE scopes and the MORE shooting qualifies YOU as a better judge of scope quality and dependability.

At the same time I've had 'lower priced'=cheap to some,scopes on 7 Mags, 300 Mags, and 1 8mm RM and have graphed/grouped/hunted those same scopes for some years w/o any failures at all.

I really hope this makes sense to you, it does in my twisted mind.< grin>.

Basically I guess I am trying to say that to the "average" hunter/shooter the variables are dependable.

Also there are BAD APPLES in Fords,Chevys,Dodges. So one could get ahold of a bad scope occasionally.

W H E W W- that was a lot of typing, editing, & retyping. I really HOPE M D read this. grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!