Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by rost495
If you don't disrupt CNS< its not DRT. Simple as that.

YOu can get DRT, IE dying in place and not moving, at other times but its not 100% reliable.

The inferior vena cava is the largest blood vessel in mammals, it is a very thin-walled, low pressure vessel that returns all of the blood from the lower body back to the heart. If you puncture it, you get an instantaneous/marked drop in blood pressure. Google Starling's Law to understand this.

A Berger, placed on or right behind the shoulder, will most often produce enough fragment to puncture the vena cava or the aortic arch, which will have the same result but probably take a few second longer for B/P to drop enough for the animal to go down.

You are correct that "speed kills", that makes modern bullets perform, but once you have enough for the bullet to work (IE 308) more ain't any better.

243 netted me more non CNS DRT shots by FAR than I've EVER seen out of my 308. And I can shoot better with the 308 than I was capable of with the 243.....

185 berger around 2500 fps in 308 is more destruction almost than I care for.

I don't care if the deer skips off anyway, I actually prefer it that way even more now that I have a dog that trails... keeps him on his toes. Might have even thought about hitting a few a bit further back just for practice but luckily others that I hunt with manage that without trying...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....