Originally Posted by bludog
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I've killed deer big and little from New Brunswick and Northern New England, to Alberta and the Central Canadian Provinces;and most of the Rocky Mountain states from 4000-10,000 feet,with a 7 pound 270.

Never found it wanting in the slightest,and noticed a 130 Partition made very short work of all of them,no matter the angles as long as the bullet was directed into vitals.

I've used other more and less potent cartridges and bullets in the exact same places. Nothing worked any better.

I've found killing deer to be ridiculously simple. Getting a shot at a big one is the hard part.

Bob,

You reckon a 7-08 coulda killed all them deer as well?

I know what I think...

bludog

Bluedog: No doubt....but some were killed before the 7/08 existed. Even after I bought a 7/08 (and have killed with several) I never saw much difference except on a chronograph.

With bullets and loads of the day I might have had to hold skosh higher on the 400 yard stuff.....but I watched a companion dump a big buck off a mountainside at about 375 yards with a a 140- 7x57. smile The 7x57 was "our" 7/08 back in the day...... So.....

Like I am fond of saying out to 300-500 yards many of these cartridges have been so much the same.

There just isn't a whole bunch of difference terminally between cartridges and bullets in that category.Most important thing is knowing your rifle, how to hit under the circumstances and that boils down to round count and range time plus field experience. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/14/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.