Great thread. Nothing to add that hasn't been said well already, except that in my experience, which only amounts to CO and OR, elk seasons are SHORT, and everything changes once the lead starts flying opening day. I would advise getting to the area you are hunting at least 4-5 days early, finding your animals, and doing what it takes to be properly in position opening morning. Try to plan for other hunters. Escape routes are great, but you will only know them in hindsight, probably..... but try anyway. In particular, study maps and look for obvious saddles, or other terrain choke points, as they relate to trails that hunters will be coming in on. You'll know you found a good one if you find archery blinds.

I love the optimism and I truly hope you get to experience get "run over" by a herd your first year. It's pretty awesome. smile

If you are sharing the woods with elk, your still hunting skills will be of great use. If you aren't, then it's good that you are good physical condition, because you gotta go find them. "Legs and lungs get it done", love that.... true words.

Be conscious of the fact that you may only get one chance. Be READY. Groups of elk moving in timber can be like slow-motion grouse flushes--- things happen fast, and it can rattle a guy. Practice swinging your rifle through timber, and snap-shooting an opening. Keep your scope turned down. Be ready.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!