I'll toss my hat in this one...

Flock of rugers chambered from .257 bob to .338 win with the odd ball rem 700 LS 25-06 and an ol' 1895 Marlin 45-70 lever gun... most often used 280, 7mm rem mag anymore.

Nosler partitions done most the work. A few hot cores, horn IL's, and now ballistic tips join proven elk bullets in my rifles. I zero bolt guns for 200 yards, just in case of a long poke grin

A Leupould on everything save the marlin, open sights, and the odd ball 700 which wears a Nikon 3x9-40 pro-staff IF i remember right.

Vortec 8x42 binocs for long range viewing.

Only kilt one elk past 300 yards.... A real stretch at 305 yards the range finder lazered. Was packing the 338 win stoked with 250 gr horn spire points @2700fps that day.

Most elk killed under 150 yards. Mostly due to hunting style ambush, spot and stock, walk down a heard. Closest kill was 33 feet, ambush style cool

Elk are not hard to kill. Hit them right, they are done. There bones are heavier and muscles thicker than deer, plan accordingly.

I am not above shattering hips if need be. Also made head shots on different occasions. Rifle and zero familiarity pays off big. My 280 is just another appendage like my right hand.

Last edited by boomwack; 03/22/16.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member