I've shot two deer and missed another where I inadvertently hit intervening obstacles.

On the first one I shot at a walking deer with a 350 Rem Mag and a 200 gr Hornady Spire Point at about 50-60 yards. When I walked up to the buck, I saw a 1-1 1/4" hole on the roght side that was facing me when I shot. My first thought was "what the he__?" I then realized the bullet had hit something and "pre-expanded". I went back and found that I had center punched a 1" grape vine that I hadn't seen. That bullet at around 2600 fps broke both shoulders. I cut it out with a folding saw that I had. I still have that piece of wood.

Fast forward a few years and at about 90 yards, with a 35 Whelen and 225 gr Ballistic Tip (since discontinued), I shot my heaviest whitetail (235 lbs). It was a little while after sunset and here again due to shadows, I hit an unseen branch. The buck was head-on and when I shot he dropped on the spot. I got to the deer, I again saw a big entrance hole I looked and found that I had hit a branch about 11/2" thick. That bullet took out 3 to 4 vertebrae after hitting that branch.

Between those two successes, I had another where I hit a 1/2" Devil's Walking stick with the 200 gr Hornady on the way to a walking buck about 30 yards away and didn't touch a hair. My buddy and I spent over an hour looking for any sign that I had hit the buck. No luck.

Point being I didn't intentionally shoot through brush but hit the first two deer more due to luck BUT there was enough bullet left intact to to break down those two bucks.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.