Originally Posted by navlav8r
... I went back and found that I had center punched a 1" grape vine that I hadn't seen. That bullet at around 2600 fps broke both shoulders. I cut it out with a folding saw that I had. I still have that piece of wood....

Between those two successes, I had another where I hit a 1/2" Devil's Walking stick with the 200 gr Hornady on the way to a walking buck about 30 yards away and didn't touch a hair. My buddy and I spent over an hour looking for any sign that I had hit the buck. No luck.

Point being I didn't intentionally shoot through brush but hit the first two deer more due to luck BUT there was enough bullet left intact to to break down those two bucks.

Good advice. I hit a 1" grape vine once with a ML using 240gn xtp , 80grains pyrodex at the time was the standard load. 30 yards? maybe 40? deer just stared at me then trotted away. Only when I cleared my head and the smoke did i figure out that I hadnt seen the grape vine Not sure how, since I had a 2x scope, but i didnt. Bullet barely made it through, jacket separation.

2 or 3 years ago I shot at a small doe trotting across a trail. I knelt down, saw her crossing maybe 25-30 yards away form me, a few dozen feet behind some thin bushes. BIG heavy slow 460grain no excuses conical. Chip shot. Deer ran off. Snow. no blood. gone.

3 clipped twigs, each one lower and lower. we are talking what, 24"-36" of deflection over a few yards. 3 yards maybe.

I am convinced there is no brush bucking.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 04/22/16.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.