Dunno how many have been actively reading this thread but I took a drive around on Sunday to actually go look at the places of which I have been writing.

Apologies in advance for the poor-quality photos, this is my very last cheap pawn shop digital camera, I join the smart phone revolution in a couple of weeks.

First off, San Patricio Texas, just west of I 37, maybe 20 miles north of Corpus on the Nueces. Twice as many people now as back then, when it was a scattering of thatched jacales and wattle and post huts.

[Linked Image]

The highway to hell? It is how you get there, perhaps TXDot was trying to drive down property values I dunno crazy

[Linked Image]

...and the reason why San Patricio was where it was, the ford on the Nueces on the Matamoras Road.

[Linked Image]

...and the Nueces, flood-controlled now for the most part by the dam on Lake Corpus Christi. A whole lot more timber now than there reportedly was back then, when San Patricio was an oasis on a vast plain.

[Linked Image]

Not a whole lot of elevation I thought between the river and the place where the old town was, seemed like it must have been flooded from time to time. As far as buildings no sense of the old settlement remains, the highway dominating the landscape, but just like back then the Catholic Church still seems the center of the landscape, this being the fourth one on the original site, fires and hurricanes having obliterated the rest. Not enough of a congregation for a regular Sunday mass tho.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744