Originally Posted by stxhunter
damn mike you were just down the road and didn't call .

Sorry Rog, I was racing daylight the whole time, still had to get to Fort Lipantitlan, Agua Dulce, Refugio, Coleto Creek and Goliad before dark. As it was I only just got it done.
'
Fort Lipantitlan weren't easy to find, even though it has to be at most a long walk upstream from San Patricio. Turns out even the marker was hard to find, about a seven-mile loop around ranchland on the other side of the Nueces.

Once in a while you can get a glimpse of sorta what the area looked like in '36. This is about two miles southwest of the Nueces and the old fort site...

[Linked Image]

The marker off of the backroad is easy to miss, sorta set back in the mesquite...

[Linked Image]

No one I asked knew where the old fort had been, and no wonder, no reason to go there, seven acres at the end of a dead end road, donated from a ranch in 1937 but no public river access in back though it was only about 50 yards away...

[Linked Image]

All above-ground traces of the fort gone.

To somebody's credit, the place had been mowed, and in back was what looked like an original marker, perhaps installed by a State Historian. In 1927 there would likely be people still alive in the area who remembered the ruins of the old fort.

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744