Originally Posted by Fotis
So Mr Smith...

Am I correct to assume that because you have seen over 100 Barnes DRT kills (and I am not saying that you have not) someone else has not experienced substandard performance from them?

I on the other hand have never seen a Nosler hornady Scirocco and grand slam failure.

Either way like I said failures are not written in stone, and they do not happen often but when talking specifically about expansion I have seen only barnes, A few but only Barnes.

No. What I'm saying is that when I have watched what is actually about 130 big-game animals hit the ground via Barnes bullets, from the X to the TTSX, in various calibers, bullet weights, and impact velocities, with zero expansion problems, I don't buy it when somebody says that they have a higher rate of failure than other brands of bullets. Which is why I question the number of samples you've witnessed.

As sample sizes grow, reliable and accurate conclusions/generalizations are more likely. So how many animals have you witnessed being taken with a Barnes bullet, and what proportion of those involved expansion failure? I find that some guys assume a mono failed to expand based solely on the exit wound, when this is a poor indicator of bullet performance. Often mono's lose some of all of their petals, leaving a solid shank to carry on and exit. I have seen this several times, where the exit hole is not much bigger than caliber, but the internal destruction is massive.

As I said, I've witnessed more Nosler failures than Barnes, so does that give me a license to go around declaring that Nosler's fail more often than Barnes' do? Obviously not. The sample size of my experience and exposure isn't nearly big enough to be able to draw any accurate conclusion like that about the entire population of Nosler and Barnes bullets. That's the problem I have with what you said above, generalizing about Barnes bullets and their failure rate.