I've carried 1911's, Glock 21, Glock 17, Barretta 21a. Probably too many to list. As most have stated, try to carry the most you can for the time that Sh*t hits the fan.

With that being said, If you can't carry a 45acp, then carry a 9mm, and if a 9mm is too big, then carry 22.

Years ago, my wife and I were going to someplace formal with another couple. We encountered a few late teen, early 20's thugs.

I readied my self. The male from the other couple asked what I was carrying. I responded a Barretta 22. He said "Is that ll you brought"? My (knowing he was unarmed) was: "And what are you carrying?" He got this sheepish look on his face and never questioned me again. BUT, from that time forward, he always came prepared. Luckily, when the thugs approached, I identified myself as LE, and they left in a New York minute.

These days, for the most part, my go to firearm for CCW is a Taurus PT111 G2 Millenium 9mm. Mag holds 12, plus 1 in the chamber.

I use QUALITY +P ammo, and I practice enough to make sure that I'm proficient in my drawing skills as well as being able to hit the target.

The real key here is knowing when to take evasive asking and get out of dodge. Or when to take cover and concealment and prepare to do what must be done to protect life and limb.

In my humble opinion, drawing a firearm is the very last choice or option. But given the situation that you're in, it might be then first and only option.

Bottom line, prepare for the worst, pray for the best and hope that you're never in a situation that places you in harms way.

As the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.