Originally Posted by Mule Deer
TexasPhotog,

I wasn't all that surprised at Harris Publications closing. They were among the first magazines companies (and perhaps the first) that started tying article content strongly to advertisers' products. As I recall, this was in the 1980's. Before then, many if not most magazines operated on the idea that attracting readers with good articles would increase subscribers and newstand sales. Since advertising rates are tied to numbers of readers, the magazine would make more money by running by attracting readers.

Harris reversed this. Instead of primarily running articles to attract readers, they primarily ran articles to attract advertisers. This works in the short run, but eventually readers catch on that they're not being informed and entertained as much as they used to be--one reason so many readers quit reading hunting/shooting magazines. At some point circulation drops so much that ad rates drop, and eventually the same magazine isn't making enough money to remain profitable.

This reversal of the reader/advertising strategy is far more common than when I started publishing magazine articles 40 years ago. It's been common for a generation now, and many younger people in the business can't even remember when the primary strategy of most magazines was to attract readers.

It's interesting to see the directions publishers are going these days.

Newspapers have been killing themselves with poor management for, well, decades now. Even when they made great money the were badly managed. The digital disruption has just made it more glaring.

Hang in there!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain