I picked up a copy of American Rifleman the other day dated gawd knows when, and bumped into an article by Finn Aaggard entitled "Kenya Days and Rifles" or something like that.

Geezus it was refreshing.....starting out with some baying dog that had cornered a cow buffalo on Mt Kenya or some such, Finn and companions struggling to keep up,close encounter with the cow, a misfire, 400 gr bullets smashed to confetti on the cows shoulder.

It was hair raising and had me on the edge of my seat...it was "hunting", interesting. I was entertained and momentarily riveted. But more importantly it was rooted in the author's personal experiences and was well written,and articulate, and written by someone who had BTDT.

I don't mind techno babble if I am trying to understand a new concept but have a hard time absorbing a lot of numbers and charts. Once understood I may never look again. Like Ben (Mudhen) I am into the first paragraph and if there isn't much there I am off and running.. grin

To be honest I learn as much about technical stuff from the knowledgeable guys here as I need to know, and more. Between John B and others I learn a lot on here. I have some PM strings with some knowledgeable guys on here that have taught me a bunch and are entertaining as hell to boot!

So when it comes to publications I like SA, Handloader/Rifle, Rifle Shooter, and Sporting Classics because I love the old art work, the pictures, the classic old guns and sporting pursuits steeped in tradition.

Recently I bought fresh copies of "The Jungle Book" (Kipling) so I can relate to my grandkids, and "Man Eaters of Kumoan" (Corbett). Anything by Corbett is a cliff hanger .

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/04/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.