Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by rcarr
...............Confusing the search is the fact that I will continue to hunt primarily from treestand in new england with shots under 75 yards but often having to act very quickly . Deer are by far he most common target with a bear hunt and predator hunt occasionally. However I want to start doing more out of state hunts and want to do more practicing 300 -400 yards.

If anything, this does not complicate, but rather simplifies the choices. The demands are not really great. smile

About any commonly available bolt action with a 22" barrel and decent handling characteristics will manage New England deer hunting from stands, ground blinds, or on foot. "Fast handling" is more a function of practice than anything else.

Most any factory sporter weighing 6.5-8 pounds is capable of managing 300-400 yard shots ...just a function of enough practice.

Here's a buck killed in a New England clear cut at about 200 yards from an elevated stand with a Parker Hale Mauser 270 and 140 gr BT. That rifle has killed a bunch of others as well. It's owner is an accomplished match shooter....Hint. wink

[Linked Image]

Holy cow Bob! Did you just post a picture of yourself and an animal? Honestly, I think that's the first one I've seen! Or maybe it's some other accomplished shooter??😳

BTW, nice chain hoist! Lol!

Last edited by Akbob5; 05/04/16.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~