Up here, about half the fawns never see their first birthday. Buck fawns, doe fawns, makes no difference. To maintain a population, shooting buck fawns does almost nothing to the year to year population. To reduce the population, start with does more than three years old.

Around my house, we have way too many. In 2014 I killed three does and a buck fawn and that did nothing to the total population in a half section. In 2015 I killed one yearling, two older does and one buck. After a careful and very accurate census of the neighborhood deer I figured I needed the cars to kill 6-10 and I needed to kill two mature does that have two fawns each and a couple more yearling does in 2016 to get to the point where I had 0 population growth. I now have 9 killed by cars since January. If I do my part, in 2017 I should be able to get by with killing a mature doe and a yearling doe.

It won't take much slacking off in the killing to let them get way out of control again though. No one else hunts here, and there's plenty of deer surrounding this half section. Slack off for a year and I will be right back in need of killing the breeding does four per year or more if possible.