Everyone who knows me knows that I will shoot fawns first and you'd about have put the gun to my head before I shoot a buck. The buck I shot last fall was constantly around my house. I have strong suspicions he was the big deer who broke down my electric fence and that's why I killed him. There was a huge buck hanging around too, but I never saw his tracks in my garden. He is twice the size of the 6 pointer I killed and twice the size of the doe that was bigger than the sixer. Not much of a rack, but a giant body. I have no need for that much hamburger.

I gave up killing big deer a long, long time ago because they are usually such poor eating. I don't need a big rack for anything, so I let them go by in the hope that someone who wants one gets them. I have killed does that were old and poor table fare. Does are much harder to judge age on without decent glass and a lot of time. I have one in the neighborhood that I'd be willing to bet is at least ten. She produces two fawns very year and has What I think s her daughter hanging with her who is also dropping two a year now. I'd like both of them gone, but won't shoot them for my table.