Silver Bullet,

I mean no disrespect to you or your cousin, but I'd like to offer a little advice.

I'm no Bighorn sheep expert, by any means, although I've hunted them more than a few times. You're already talking to a few of very knowledgeable sheep guys on this thread and they should be able to help you with your questions.

However, if your cousin wants to kill a respectable ram, the DIY method has very low odds. Especially being a non-resident. I understand the the two of you are experienced hunters, but judging from your questions, there is a lot you don't know about hunting sheep and you certainly don't know the country. That $9,500 is worth it if you want to be successful. If your cousin doesn't care if he is successful or not and just wants to go out and hunt, then the DIY method will be just fine. You'll see some new country and have a good time. I just wouldn't count on killing a sheep and if you do, you'll most likely be settling for something you really don't want to shoot.

Take it from me, though, since I've done it both ways, having a knowledgeable guide along that knows the country, the sheep's habits, and that has the game spotting ability is well worth the coin. If you can at all swing the cost, you won't be sorry. Just some advice from someone who has been where you are now.

Whatever way you decide to go, good luck!