The spot where Chris is camped, is completely out of cell-phone coverage, so I asked him to text me if he hunted out of the usual areas he had been covering. I received 3 consecutive morning messages, telling me what canyon we should look for his body in, if he doesn't re-surface .. as he has been extending his hunt areas to the Steep/Deep canyons, more to the South.

After 1 day with no text from him, the phone rang late this am ... and the Caller ID said it was Chris !
I was really hoping to hear ... " RAM Down - Ram Down ! "
- - -
Instead, I got his voice trying to talk above a windstorm:
He was high on a ridge near (Re-dacted), and able to connect and get a call out. It was 20 degrees, with 25 mph winds and 1" of flat white rain coming down ... ie: colder than a Snowmans butt-cheeks. Said he doesn't "Weigh-Enough" to hunt sheep on those steep ridges in this kind of weather.

He was able to camp in the same spot he and his brother had previously. Most of the rifle Elk hunters only stayed for the first 3-4 days of the season (Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues) and they had generally camped and hunted at lower elevations.

Yesterday afternoon he spotted a band of sheep at a distance and put a long (hour plus) sneak on them. He crept up over a ridge and expected he would be able to glass and ID them, still one ridge away ...
But NOOOOO ! .... they were just over the edge of the same ridge ... at 20 yards ! All ewes, with one 1/2 curl Ram. No joy - as he's not shooting any "teenagers". It's Go-Big ... or Go-Home.

He is such a sneak hunter, even his shadow can't always tell where he's headed and keep up with him. This is exactly how I always envisioned him taking a Ram on this hunt. No 450 yard shots ... but by walking in on it ... the Ram none the wiser ... until it was too-late.

He will need to re-provision (in Wheatland) in a day or two.
Said it' really hard to hunt all day long, come back, sort/dry gear, have to make dinner, clean-up, plan the next days hunt ... sleep a little .... (Repeat)

Weather is supposed to break this afternoon and be nice/clear on Friday.

He met one other (local) Ram-tag holder, who has been hunting some of the same areas as he is.
- - -

... Silver Bullet

If ya can't run with the Big-Dogs ...
write on the "Inner-net", that ya can