Originally Posted by jwp475
A friend of mine killed a Nilgaii bull with one shot into the rib cage with a Contender in 30/30. Put the bullet where it goes and all is good.

It took me a lot of the same exact as above to kill one, 13 rounds I think, but he had been hit and wounded prior to me taking him on...

They are not small, so think about that. But I routinely kill 200 -300 pound pigs with subsonic 22 to the head.

Since its not a leisure hunt usually, I'd think more along the lines of elk rounds. Whatever floats your boat. THey have a tougher hide by far than elk, so a top line bullet IMHO.

I'd not hesitate with a 243, but have to pick my shots.

Flip side is I know some folks that swear the big guns are flat hammers on them. 458 and 460s.

I did shoot one once per the guide, pelvic joint with a 300 mag, 180 partition( that I only recently found out was not nearly as toughly built as the 200 partitions) and it did not make it past the end of the girdle. ANd the lung shot following, seemed to mostly start running out of steam as it exited...

I still say to this day, pick your shot, and if you'd be comfortable shooting a 500 pound whatever with your round, would be more than good enough for me.

I"ve seen a couple flop wiht 308s in the neck...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....