Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Exactly. I've shot kudu, Zebra and Eland with the 270 Winchester and 140gr TBBCs.

Anyone who tells you that they are almost bullet-proof or that you must use a 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H to hunt with them either has no practical experience and/or is a poor marksman. Sure, bigger is better (to a point) if you can shoot it, but I'd not ever hesitate to hunt anything up to Eland with a quality bullet out of a 270 Winchester on up.

It's all about shot placement and quality bullets.

I wouldn't say no practical experience or poor marksmanship, rather I'd state it as a difference of opinion. The guys mentioned that liked the big guns were very experienced and I wouldn't call them poor shots, at least not to their faces... grin

Point taken, otherwise. There seems to be a fairly good consensus on premium bullets.

I would have taken my .300 Win Mag with 200 gr. NPT's and felt well equipped. When I hire a guide, I go with his suggestions. Barnes or Swift bullets in the Win Mag would have done the job. I'm sure premium bullets in my 7RM would have killed those animals. When in Rome... wink

DF