Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

On a hunt, you don't have the time and convenience of a culling operation. You're going after a target within a certain time frame.

DF

I would respectfully point out that you have your facts completely backward on this point. Scientific collecting, or culling, usually has to be completed in a short time, often in only day or two. This means that many animals must be killed cleanly and necropsied in a short time. That's why most of the culling that I saw in Namibia was done with either AR-15s or bolt rifles with ten-shot magazines chambered in .308 Winchester.

On the King Ranch, we usually had parts of two days to collect anywhere from a dozen to as many as 20 nilgai, while being selective about sampling different age groups in both sexes. Whitetail culling operations are usually even more hectic. One that I remember in south Texas involved taking and posting over 300 animals in five days.

Thanks for that correction. I've been on the King and neighboring ranches, never was involved with a culling operation.

I appreciate the experience of posters; dead critters are good evidence something is working right.

My info and opinions are based on ideas and advice from guides. One guide's favorite Nilgai guns are .340 Wby and .375 H&H. So, I went with the flow. My hunting bud took his .338 Win Mag. Those do work... grin

DF