I've killed about 9 or 10 whitetail with the 170 gr. Speer from my old .30-30 Marlin. It's by far been the most accurate bullet for my rifle turning in honest five shot groups of 1 1/4" at 100 yards benched. It's not a super tough bullet, it expands very readily and does a lot of damage inside. I've gotten exits with good holes on broadside shots. I did shoot one average size doe for here (110 pounds field dressed) at a strong angle head on inside the slightly on shoulder in which the bullet exited back of the opposite side rib cage in three different pieces. I took a youth hunter with me on a hunt and he shot a similar size doe with the rifle and Speer 170. A group of five does were feeding in the timber of the national forest up a spur ridge toward us at last light. They were at an angle that would take them on the off side of the ridge so I told the kid to shoot if he felt he could make a good shot. Range was about 80 yards and the shot plunked at the back of the rib cage hitting the liver and traveled back into the opposite side hip joint. It broke the deer down and we closed the distance and finished it off. Made for a messy field dressing job. Hope this helps?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.