I have had numerous p64 M70s. Most shot well, some very well.

The one I have now could be described as the best of both worlds. It is a pre war gun, '38 receiver/'40 barrel IIRC. The rifle has family history. A family friend bought it new. Somewhere along the way, the original owner had the rear bridge D/T and a Redfield one piece base nicely fitted to the .270. With the stripper clip slot, that is the easy way.

When the original owner hung his guns up, Cousin bought his three M70s. Along about 63-65, Cousin loaned me the rifle for a couple of years. I could not afford a rifle at the time. I finally bought my own and returned the ..270 to cousin. About ten years ago, Cousin died in an accident. His daughter gifted the rifle to me in his memory. The only change I have made to the rifle is that I replaced the old Weaver with a 3.5-10 Leupold.

I have never shot the rifle for a five shot group ( in the 60's or recently) but once zeroed, I can't recall ever missing a deer, coyote, or rabbit with it. I suppose you could say that it is good enough.

The original owner was a hunter. He used the rifle, scoped it, and padded it. It is not a collector item. My oldest granddaughter, a tall young lady (5'6" at age eleven), will be the next custodian.

Best wishes,

Jack

PS: they are a bit heavy for old farts to pack very far. I suggest a featherweight.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero