One has to remember that in the 50+ years there can be a lot that has happened to the bores of these rifles so that can explain some of them that are not very accurate.

For what it's worth my go to 300H&H shoots my reloads 1/2-3/4" groups when I do my part and it's 375H&H stable mate puts them all in under 1" at 75yds (that's as far as I shot the 375 as I set it up for a bear gun over bait). I also have a pre-64 243 Varmint gun that shoots so good I don't even want to say how good it shoots as people would call me a lier! Pretty much all of the M70's I've taken time to shoot have been very good shooters or better except the 22 Hornets which were all about 2-1/2" guns at 100yds.

Please before you bed that rifle take it out and shoot it. You might be surprised how good it shoots just the way it is. If there is one thing that bugs me is when someone gets a rifle and they free float and bed it before they ever even shoot it. Often times they shoot better in the orignal format than after all the fancy accuracy stuff is performed on them.