I have a couple pre-64’s - 300 H&H and a 375 H&H AI. I’ve had a few other bolt action Winchesters, but no longer. The other Winchesters I have now are lever guns and also a 1885.
I think these old rifles belong in the hunting fields. I don’t have a hunting need for the 375, right now. It sure would be nice if/when I find a need.
The 375 has been altered (AI chamber, rebluing(?), and recoil pad) and the 300, I think, is factory.
I’m trying to find a sweet load for the 300 now and it looks like a day at the range today. I don’t know what to do with that fore-end screw but I’ll be messing with it, I sort of wish it wasn’t there.
I’ve shot the 375 quite a bit more than the 300, mostly off hand. They both have a M8 4x on them with quick detachable Leupold rings - I have a spare M8 4x in the same rings. If I go on a trip with either, the spare scope will be sighted in, just in case.

I like these rifles’ triggers. Maybe a gunsmith worked these over sometime in the past but they are sweet - crisp and about 2 1/2 lb. I wish they still made triggers that way.

My 35 Whelen was also a pre-64, but it’s been altered so much, it’s a gun made out of parts.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/21/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally