Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I tried to figure out how many M70's have passed through my hands and lost count around 50 (and I still have more than a few) and I have NEVER experienced a mechanical problem. The only thing I have ever done was have the stock refinished on a 308 FWT simply because the original finish wore off and bare wood was exposed.

I am right there with GSP numbers wise. I broke one extractor a few years ago. I changed it out with an Enfield extractor. Done.

I have (had) one that went through three barrels before I sold it. Another 7 RM that was a favorite and the barrel burned out in about 1500-2000 rounds. I hunted both of them everywhere. Ditto a 300 Win Mag,338,a couple of 375"s (yes they hunted Alaska and killed two brown bears. Not safe queens.) 220 Swift, 257 Roberts,30/06's, other 270's 264's 300 H&H 300 Win Mag, H&H converted to Weatherby.....on and on it goes... Not a bauble with any of them..

The one below started life as a factory 270 FW. I sold it a couple years ago and built/bought a duplicate (that some dope from Alaska recently called a "safe queen". Indeed....it's only one year old and only been on two hunts last year. Both successful.

i bumped into a 243 Standard Grade today for a grand. I may buy it. I hate the cartridge but I know the rifle will work and shoot.

[Linked Image]

I love that "safe queen" Bob. Looks just like mine, except your stock is a different color. On by the way, thanks for that little enfield extractor trick. I liked my "spare" better and pulled the extractor off my m1917 and replaced it with a pre 64 model 70 extractor. Now the spare is the M1917 one sick :

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA