Bob,

I have never even been able to get a pre-'64's safety to "jam" in the middle position, locking up the action, as was reported happening with some of the Classics a few years ago. The instance that started it all was a buffalo hunt where somebody put the safety of their Classic in the middle position, ready for quick action when following up a wounded bull. When a charge occurred, the bolt handle had inadvertently raised very slightly, and the safety couldn't be pushed forward--and the rifle couldn't be fired.

After that report, I checked the safeties of several Model 70's, and could NOT get the same thing to happen with pre-'64's, but could with a couple of Classics. I also asked a couple of friends to check their pre-64's and they couldn't make it happen either. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but I haven't heard of a pre-'64 where it does.

D'Arcy Echols found a fix for the problem when it occurs in the Classics, which he's been using on all Legends since.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck