I'm not a collector, but I have had numerous Model 70s. I largely financed four degrees for three daughters through buying, selling, and trading Winchesters, Brownings, S&Ws, Sakos and and other nice firearms. I owned one particular Super Grade 30 Govt 06 three times and hunted it several times, taking my best desert mule deer with it.

I have tinkered with them, refinished some scruffy stocks, and otherwise tweaked them to bring top dollar, but I don't recall having to replace any metallic part other than replacing buggered screws. I used to have a source for replacement red Winchester marked pads and super grade swivels, which have both dried up.

As much as I never understood why, I never carried a .375 or a .458 (any brand on the latter) to a show that did not sell for good money. Two that passed through my hands that I wish I had kept are an early fifties .300 H&H and a .270 barreled action that appeared unfired that I found a period stock for.

My only M70 today is a prewar .270 with some history. A long deceased family friend bought it new, Cousin bought all his guns when he hung them up, loaned me the .270 for a couple of years (62-64) until I could afford my own, then was gifted to me some fifteen years ago when Cousin was killed in an accident. It is well used, but mechanically perfect. The original owner scoped and padded it, likely in the early fifties. I'm thinking that it goes to my grandson. I use it only as a Mule or stand gun. I'm getting old and they are heavy.

My other Winchesters are a mid forties US ordinance marked M12 and a minty 42 that I shoot opening day of dove season most years.

Best wishes,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/20/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero