As an example. Sierra Game kings work well in the 2000 -2800fps range, but tend to come apart at 3000+ fps.However you get fairly good expansion and terminal performance on game in those ranges. It took a lot of convincing for people to realize that a Sierra Game King is not a 3000 fps bullet and a lot of folks still use the bullet at those velocities.
Notice I did say " unless you are at the high or low end of the scale.

Hunting bullets are designed to usually work in a fairly wide range of velocities.If they were not, you would be selecting a different bullet for every different range you intended to hunt.Hence,my conclusion.

Of course you can't use bullets designed for a 3 0-30, for example, in a 3000fps chambering and we have to be somewhat diligent in selecting a bullet for the distance, game, and velocity we intend to use for.

Velocity will indeed effect accuracy and I have found a grain or two under a max load usually yields the best accuracy in my rifles and magnums that I have owned usually performed best at max or near max loads.

As I interpreted it,the OP was referring to some of these mono bullets like Barnes where more than a few users have complained that their chosen bullets had note expanded as advertised . My belief is that there are enough of these complaints that it can't be attributed to a lower than expected velocity compared to book values. If a Barnes bullet, for example, works at 3000fps, and your rifle yields 2800 fps velocity with a load that a manual advertised 3000 fps,it should still work. Obviously from the number of complaints, that isn't always true.

If your loads chronographed at 2500 fps and the book says they should be 3000fps, there is more of a problem thanjust book to actual velocities

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/11/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles