Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shaman,

Yeah, you can come to some conclusions about bullet performance even if the bullet isn't recovered in the animal. In particular a small hole, with almost no peripheral tissue damage, indicates the bullet didn't expand much if at all. . .

I could not agree more. However, I'd say that if one is able to measure the bullet hole, then the bullet did its part.

Case in point: Last weekend's groundhog succumbed to a 117 grain Hornady Interlock SPBT at 100 yards traveling about 2900 fps at the muzzle of a 25-06 It had a hole going in, and a hole going out, but it appeared the groundhog just didn't have enough there to impinge on the bullet. Bullet failure? I'd say not. Was the bullet the best choice? No, but it got the job done.

Case #2: 165 grain Hornady Interlock fired at 150 yards from a 30-06 at a coyote. .30-ish hole in the brisket and a dime-sized hole out the back. Bullet failure? No. Best choice on a coyote? No.

Case #3: 165 grain Hornady Interlock fired at 20 yards from an M1 Garand at a small buck. First round did absolutely nothing. My son, young Mooseboy, was advised to aim an inch rearward and send another round downrange. This one caused an explosion the bottom seam opened up and the animal spilled the contents of its abdominal cavity on the ground. Deer ran 60 yards before tripping over its innards and piling up. Bullet failure? I found neither bullet. Baseball sized hole in the ribs on the far side.

Mind you, this is just a down and dirty whitetail hunter talking. Folks on this august forum have called me a booger eating moron for using a 30-06.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer