Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by rost495
I think most guns with a guarantee will meet it, in some form or fashion.

Generally speaking accuracy does not come with hunting bullets out of the box so to speak.

It does NOT come from ball FMJ stuff.

It comes from match grade, meaning maybe to the point of brass prep, sorting, unified pockets, tested primers, tuned powder charges, proven seating depths and neck tensions. PLUS a TOP line shooter.

That said if the twist works, and it won't shoot federal gold medal match 69s, it may not shoot much of anything.

Beware if its 3 shot or 5 shot groups, distances guaranteed etc... although 3 shot groups, if repeatable, should be more than good enough for 90% of the folks out there.

RE weight... I have a ACCURATE 308 bolt rifle... its also veyr heavy... in there is a theme of sorts, light super accurate are not as common by far.

True, all that.

But here on the 'Fire, only 10 shot groups define an "accurate" rifle, or so I've been led to believe.

But then again, seems like everyone's rifles all shoot <MOA, all day, everyday, as long as the shooter does his part. wink

Or at least as long as we're only talking about 3 shot groups.

MM

IMHO 10 shot groups is a good representation, or at least enough repeatable groups in both size and location, to prove similar.

Accuracy is what you need it to be, no more, no less.

I"ve shot my acccurate 308 a bit over the years. Generally one shot at 100 at the start of the season and its never been off more than 1/2 inch max from desired/expected impact. But I still know the gun is more accurate than that leads one to believe.

The problem is, its much easier to get a fluke 3 shot group in one hole than it is a 10 shot group. Hence the desire to see 10 shot groups.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....