There is not much public land in Texas. My brother and I did try one public land hunt in east Texas, it was like my worst nightmare, so many tents everywhere, like a boy scout camp!

I invite critics to come to Texas, spend your money here, and hunt public land, enjoy!

It has become an overpopulated state, back in the late '50s and early '60s the population was 7 million, now it is over 21 million and that drives up prices big time.
I believe in land owner rights and see nothing to apologize for about paying for the privilege of hunting their land. but we have free choice and I don't hunt trophy fees by the score. I will still hunt friends of friends land to help them cull a doe population etc.

The thing that irks me from the high fence shenanigans is the trophy fee idea bleeding over to land owners of low fence hunting. It ruins the experience of hunting in my opinion.

But I can't afford to hunt Texas for trophy deer so I hunted the mountain states public lands for fun, camping and mule deer. Now that I'm too old to climb much I will trophy hunt Canada, Kansas or Missouri for whitetail, and be content passing on small bucks.
Happy Hunting Wherever You Hunt,