Another deer from La Salle County, low fence. This was the evening before opening morning. Took this photo with the last minutes of light. Never saw him again.

[Linked Image]

Here was another low fence lease - a one section winter wheat field. 1 mile x 1 mile. Again, no high fence. This was on a 20,000+ acre ranch. They leased this field to my wife and I since we could shoot farther than their other hunters and they wanted Axis and does removed.

[Linked Image]

We would get up at 4 a.m. and hike out to a grass strip in the middle and set up ground cloths. When the sun came up, we would be in the middle of 200 - 300 deer, waiting to pick off Axis which they wanted removed.

[Linked Image]

Here was less than 60 seconds of shooting, and why shooting skills can matter. Number 1 was 150 yards, 2 was 250 and 3 was 472, no blinds, no feeder - other than a square mile of wheat.

[Linked Image]

Most of my deer hunting is purely management, does, culls, and management deer. I've had the opportunity to see some incredible deer, and enjoyed just watching them. Sometimes it is harder to find a cull than it is a big deer on a well managed property.

Here is a cull from a smaller property, just under 500 acres, where I helped set up a management plan.

[Linked Image]

After three years, now they are seeing some nice 10's and even one typical 6x6. The deer just needed the chance to grow older.

This is my front porch, no fence, but working over the landscaping. smile

[Linked Image]