So many, so many.

Going back to when I was 16, driving down a road toward my grandpa's place with my dad and older brothers, just staring out the window at a cornfield. At the other end was the biggest live whitetail I've ever seen to this day. Nobody would believe me. I finally went nuts, we stopped and backed up, and away he ran never to be seen again. He was a Booner for certain.

Or, maybe "Scarface" about a decade ago. Hunted him for 3 years. First with a bow, then blew an opportunity with the bow the next year, then had him dead in my riflescope the third year during a blizzard about 3 minutes before season opened. He walked so slowly away, staring back at me. He was already going downhill antler-wise, but he was at least 24" wide whitetail. Nobody ever got him.

Or, maybe just two years ago, when I finally got a clean shot opportunity at a buck that I was after for two years. Muzzleloader season, finally found him, broadside, but at about 150 yards. We only can use open sights and I wasn't comfortable so I let him walk. He'd have made the muzzleloader book for sure. I couldn't find him this year but I haven't heard that anyone got him yet. He's a phantom, mostly nocturnal, but always crests a very high hill and stands there looking down on his lair about 1/2 hour before sunrise. Odd behavior, but consistent.

So many, so many others. I'm going to dream tonight.