I once shot the wrong buck, letting an amazing non-typical Sitka hop away.

Was sitting in a glassing spot with my girlfriend, who is now my wife. We were atop a pretty good mountain. The fog was thick, but once in awhile it'd clear for 15 seconds or so. I was watching a well used trail leading off the side of the mountain where they go bed in the timber. Sure enough the amazing buck walked right by and I caught a look at him. Huge. Fog immediately set back in. I sent my wife back to the tent, and I slowly crept down the trail to an alpine patch I figured he'd stop and feed in. Hunkered down at the side of the rock and then the fog cleared for few seconds. There he was, just standing there. Fogged in again for a few minutes. Fog cleared and I was ready. He was standing there, in the exact spot looking directly at me. I let him have it, but as soon as I pulled the trigger I knew it wasn't the buck I was after. He dropped.. Nice wide framed 3 point. Out of the bush next to him jumped the huge non-typical and he was down the side of the mountain. I was sick...

I had to take off moose hunting a few days later. Sent my good buddy up there looking for him, but he never found him. My other buddy killed an all time buck right below that spot later that fall. Some big bucks on the hill that year.