Back in the late 80's I headed out of the Black Hills to fill my prairie tag. It was a Saturday morning and had about 2" of fresh snow. Had a chunk of public land off a dead end section-line that usually held deer so I started there. At first light a couple does were visible and a decent/120" 4 point whitetail stepped into view and my hunt was over.
After I got him gutted and loaded, I was driving back into my grandparents house in Whitewood. Driving through the valley along Whitewood Creek I noticed a doe only ten yards off the pavement bedded down. It was during the rut, so I had to turn around to see if a buck was with her. I slowed down on approaching her and maybe 5 yards beyond her is another deer.
He sees me and immediately shoves his head forward behind a tree. It's about a 12" ash and I can see mainbeam and points on both sides of it.
After 30 seconds or so the doe gets up and walks away toward the creek with this guy right behind her.
My uncle and grandfather each still had their tags and knew the landowner. We tracked him into the creek, and lost sign up on a hillside where the snow had melted. Never did hear of anyone killing him.
I've killed several 150" deer but he is the only whitetail I've ever seen that was a true no-doubt book deer.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord