Originally Posted by 325Abn
Originally Posted by StarGazer
This is why I haven't sold my 140 acres in the Catskill Mountains in New York. I have my own well and enough wood to keep us warm forever. My place has phone, cable and electric but I can do well without all of that.

I keep the barn friggin loaded with enough firewood for years and I constantly keep the hand-driven well pump in working order.

There's enough deer on my side of the mountain to feed my family quite well. Plus my pond has a rediculous amount of panfish year round.

I commute from NYC to my place every six weeks or so. Usually stay for a week at a time.

Color me envious!!!

I hope you have a couple ways of getting there and it's not too far a journey.

Also, i hope the "locals" either don't know what you have or you are well-connected to them all.

Don't be envious. See my edited post. If I were left alone I could probably take care of myself and my family. I'm not of the mindset to hold off a siege if it came to that.

Your point about getting there and back is a good one. Unless I was actually there when the blank hit the fan I doubt I could get out of Manhattan alive. On the best days it takes 3.5 hours to get to my place.

Face it, only those who can live like it is the 16th century would actually make it. Maybe those truly living alone in remote parts of the country with water, fire and the ability to hunt, fish and farm would be okay. Plus nobody trying to kill them over what they have.

Let's hope it doesn't happen.