I read Fortschen's book. It is a realistic description of life after the EMP.
Your little daughter needs insulin? Too bad. The drug store ran out, and is closed anyway.
No refrigerator to keep it cool. Your daughter will die.

Along with many millions of others.
I drive an 18 wheeler. The EMP will knock out computers in all vehicles. 99.9 percent of vehicles won't run. Better hope you have a 1971 VW van with a stick shift. No milk or chicken at the grocery store. No gas at the gas station, of course, your car won't run, anyway.

It would take about 4 days after the EMP and the slaughter would begin. Gangs, especially in the cities, who have guns, will begin roaming towards the suburbs, looking for food.
Unarmed suburbanites will be like sheep for the slaughter for these gangs, and people will be killed for a can of pork and beans in the pantry, a bottle of Jack Daniels, and the water in the water heater. You can drink it!
If the suburbanite has a pretty 17 year old daughter, it will be really bad for her, she will wish she were dead.

I have prepared as best as I can. I have 39 acres in the NC mountains, where I live, very remote. I have lots of food. Lots. I have water from a spring. Lots of guns.
Got a gas stove and a tank full of propane.
Got a wood stove and lots of wood.

I am geared up about as well as I can be. If an EMP hits, screw it, Let The Games Begin! I will give it a good try and we all gotta die some day, anyway.

After reading Fortschen's book I even bought a 1982 Mercedes 240d with a stick. This car will run after an EMP. Mechanical fuel injection. Battery fried, you can roll start it.

However, having read the book more closely, you probably don't want to drive it after the EMP.

All Billy the Hillbilly has to do is to cut down a pine tree to block the road. There are only going to be about 10 vehicles that will run in my rural county.
When I pull up to the pine tree, and get out with my Stihl, Billy is hiding in the woods. He shoots me in the chest.
Then, he gets my Beretta 92FS, an SKS and 100 rounds, and nice Mercedes. Plus a nice chain saw.

No, best to hole up and keep quiet. This means, if you have a gas powered generator, you might not want to run it.
That noise could attract some very unwanted visitors.

I hope it doesn't happen but it could happen. EMP can also be caused by a massive solar flare.

And, that Nip in N. Korea is nuts. Yes, if he hit the US with an EMP his country would be destroyed like nobody has ever been destroyed before. Word would get out to at least one of our nuke subs and they would turn N. Korea into a sheet of glass. But that Nip is loco, he might just light us up anyway.