Simple answers:

profit,

cost/benefit analysis,

head up the arse syndrome (head in the sand syndrome),

it won't happen to me syndrome; how many folks do you know in a take your pick (flood, earthquake, tornado, hurricane etc)disaster zone have even three days supply of food and water stashed?

Shall I continue? Until WE can find a way to hold the powers that be feet to the fire they will not change their ways. Infrastructure has been suffering for decades, I have little hope we're magically gonna address the issue starting today.

One does realize the grid operates in an early20th century manner in many places, except perhaps for some updated computer controls, right? What happens every time we have a major ice storm in the midwest/south? Or a windstorm in the Pacific Northwest? Blizzard /Noreaster? Would we be better served by having a bit more regulation in the power industry requiring ALL new service lines to be underground and each utility shows a 10 year plan to put all major distribution lines underground? Wanna hear the uproar from the utility companies? Major undertaking, but we are the good ol' USA, no?

What if this were to be done alongside repairing/replacing our freeway system and railroads, bury the things right next to the right of ways?

The EMP problem isn't the only one capable of wrecking the grid, it might produce the most immediate damage but not the only way to start things tumbling.

A short time ago a friend and I were near a power generating dam, high tension towers leading away in a couple of directions. You electrical type guys can tell me for sure, but I believe it's really bad if a couple of those towers go down at the same time, maybe on opposite sides of the dam, and those turbines in the dam get unloaded instantly. Seems like a soft point in the armor of our nation there.

But WE all know that, right, and yet our leaders do nothing about it.

Any bets on them getting some contributions from power companies or their lobbyists?

Good luck when it happens folks, I'm old and semi prepared and hope to get better prepared enough to last a few months at least when I retire.

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 04/25/17. Reason: keyboard issues (read typist)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?