Originally Posted by ndhunterman

Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Think a 143 grain will reach 3100 fps using reloader 17 in the PRC?

These fancy new ballistics are likely a reason the .30/06 or .270 still find favor with people who look at ballistics.
Nothing new, nothing to offer, while hunting the animals that such a caliber would be suited.

There are basically 3 levels of hunting cartridges, .270 ish, meaning everything from the 6mm's through until the .33's which are generally used on the under about 800 pounds meaning, expected to perform the same tasks, second level is the .375 ish, which covers the heavier loaded 33's and .366's up to the heavier 375's then there are the hammers, the rounds to slam tonnage and distemper.

Cartridges are more the same than different and no-one who ever pulled a trigger can name a single animal that cartridge "A" can kill where cartridge "B" cannot kill.

Still I have an active golf set of calibers in the safe just like everyone else so the circle and recycle continues...........

I fully agree, however find myself cursed with rifle loonieism. I never bought into the 6.5 creedmoor, not because it's not a good cartridge, but I have a 6.5x55 swede. The 6.5 prc offers significant performance over both the creed and swede, particularly to handloaders. 3100 fps with a 143 puts it on the same ftlb level as a 300 w/ 180 grain- 3000fps, out to 600+ yards. Again, a # mind game....

I gotta Swede, a Creed, a 6.5-284 and a 26 Nosler.

Ya need the whole family... grin

And a 6.5 PRC... shocked

A new round is a great excuse to buy or build a new rifle... cool

This is the wrong place, the wrong format to be told otherwise...

DF