Rock #4, 24", 1-in-11 twist
Tuned factory trigger - 3 lbs.
Oversize lug
Pillar bedded and free-floated into
McMillan Rem. Classic - brown flame
1" Pachmayr Decelerator @ 13.75 LOP
Williams bottom metal
Action, bbl. and bottom metal Cerakoted matte black
Bolt fluted by Kampfeld Customs (thanks Karl)
Burris mounts
Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40
9 lbs.

Assembled by GA Precision

Lessons learned: For other newbies, make sure you do your homework and push back is something doesn't sound right. I was not after a light rifle to begin with (just wanted a pleasant shooter that would steady nice). I specified that the rifle was to weigh no more than 7.5 pounds clean (it was on the order sheet, typed by George himself), it came in at closer to 8. I voiced my concern with George during the spec'ing of this rifle that I thought the #4 Rock at 24" would come in heavy. He was quick to say that the weights displayed on Rock's website were only rough estimates and to trust him. In addition, I requested a 2.5 lb. trigger pull. not a 3 lb. as it turned out. I can live with the trigger and don't feel like debating this with George after a 6 month wait. BTW, the McMillan flame did not turn out even remotely like a flame.

Having said all that, I can't wait to take it hunting next season. I might ultimately have the barrel fluted if I get tired of the weight (assuming I can have this #4 fluted). I wanted 24" vs. 22" for maybe a little more velocity, but most would probably argue 22" would be better. I realize a lighter scope and Talley Lightweights would also bring it down.

I'm staying local on the next one - Karl Kampfeld will get my business.

Last edited by dakota blues; 02/16/07.

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain